Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Cress by Marissa Meyer

Cress, one of the most recent installments of The Lunar Chronicles, is probably one of Meyer's best yet! We get introduced to another fascinating character, Cress, who is living in a satellite and is basically in charge of all the cloaking and sneaky technological schemes the Lunars use. In this story, she gets to leave and finally be on Earth, which she has always dreamed of. However, hers is not the only story. There is also perspective from Cinder's group and from Scarlet. There are characters that are introduced that have a fascinating impact on the story. Scarlet tells of people on Luna, and Cinder shows the reader some information about Kai. That's all I'm going to say about the story. There's a lot to it, and I don't want to spoil it for you!

There are quiet a few things I love about this story! I really love the nickname 'Cress' for starters. In the fairy tale of 'Rapunzel' the mother will not eat anything but the plant from the witch's garden, which was sometimes called rapunzel. Cress is an edible plant and I thought it was fun that Meyer had included that aspect of Rapunzel into the story. Also, Cress is so adorable! She is the cutest, most innocent, and sweetest character! I just wanted to hug her! I also really liked that the reader was shown some stuff on Luna, and that is was from the perspective of one of the protagonists. I am SO excited for the character that the reader is introduced to on Luna, because that character is awesome!

I usually like long stories, but Meyer's stories keep getting longer and she keeps adding more perspectives. While I do enjoy getting the stories of all the characters, it can get a little confusing. In this book there are about three to four different people giving their perspective and while Meyer does make it clear who is talking, it takes some careful reading. It also makes the book much larger than its counterparts.

I give this book a 9 out of 10 and recommend it to YA readers and lovers of fantasy as well as retellings of fairy tales.

1 comment:

  1. How interesting. I have not heard of this series. Your review causes me to want to start reading it!

    ReplyDelete