Sunday, January 4, 2015

The Princess Spy by Melanie Dickerson

The Princess Spy by Melanie Dickerson is a retelling of the frog prince. Once again, she tweaks the story so no actual magic is used but the element of the story is there. The princess is Margaretha, one of Valten and Gabe's sisters, and the prince is Colin le Wyse, grandson of Annabel and Lord Ranulf le Wyse. Colin is travelling to secure Claybrook, a fiend who is wooing Margaretha. Claybrook actually wants to marry Margaretha and secure her father's lands, but she didn't know that at first. Margaretha and Colin work together to defeat Claybrook, falling in love on the way(shocker there).

This book was so cute! I really like Margaretha! She talks a lot, and Dickerson does a really good job of depicting her as a chatterbox. I also loved how she put the 'frog' part in the story. Colin gets hit in the head by Claybrook's men and is left for dead but is then rescued by people from Margaretha's castle. He is given a hideous set of green clothes to wear, which was an experiment gone wrong, and people call him 'frog boy.' It was a cute touch, and I rather enjoyed it! I also like how Dickerson has her characters fall in love with each other completely. As in, if one character has something about themselves they don't care for then the other one falls in love with that trait. There's a scene where Margaretha isn't talking and Colin asks her what's wrong and tells her he finds it soothing. It's so sweet! Another part that was well done in this book was the language barrier. Dickerson did a very nice job of keeping the language barrier going throughout the book.

I did think the love development between Margaretha and Colin was a tad annoying. They took until the end of the book to declare their love for each other, and they kept on wondering what the other thought without actually doing anything. I wanted Colin to confess his love and then have Margaretha think about it and what it would mean for her. I just wanted there to be a little more discourse between them about it. The actual confession happened very late, but they each thought about it separately for most of the book. I was also sad that Colin is Annabel's and Ranulf le Wyse's grandson. I just think it should have been their son or something. It just separates The Merchant's Daughter even more from the rest of the series.

I give this book a 9 out of 10 and recommend it to YA readers.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

1 comment:

  1. I need to read this author's books. From your reviews, and what you've said about the author in person, cause me to want to peruse these stories. :D

    ReplyDelete