Friday, January 30, 2015

Storm Siren by Mary Weber

Storm Siren by Mary Weber is a fascinating story about a young lady who is also what is known as an Elemental. She is an oddity because Elementals are only supposed to be males. Her past haunts her and she is given no choice with her future. Nym is sold to a lady who decides to use her as a weapon against a rival country. There, she learns to control her powers and she actually develops friendships. She gets caught up in a storm of politics and her own feelings all while attempting to control her powers.

This book was a great read. I really enjoyed the character of Nym and appreciated the struggles she went through. The powers in the book are great, and both her struggle to control them and the limits she has make her an original character and not a Mary Sue(A Mary Sue is a character who is perfect). The other characters in the books balanced her out well, and watching her develop feelings was wonderful! The ending was intense! The events that took place were simply huge and I was kind of yelling at the book asking it 'Why?!' and 'Whaaat?!' at the last page. Thoroughly enjoyable with a great twist!

Although this book was fantastic, there were a couple places where I got lost. There was a scene where Nym was working on her control and there were wolves. Her trainer did something and I had to go back to read that scene a few times because I was confused as to what he was referring. I was disappointed with the ending a little bit. It was a great ending, but I feel this book could have been done in one book and not be made into a series. I'm sure it will be a wonderful series, but it would have made a fine stand alone book as well.

I give this book a 9 out of 10. I recommend this book to YA fantasy readers.

1 comment:

  1. Again, another series I believe I will seek out to read. This was a wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete