Monday, January 26, 2015

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer is a continuation of the Cinder series and is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. The book switches between the stories of Scarlet and Cinder, as Cinder is escaping from prison and Scarlet is trying to find her grandmother. This book depicts the journey of each girl as they learn things about themselves and each other and how they end up working together. Prince Kai's perspective is given as well, since his view is important seeing as how it involves Queen Levana and Cinder. He is forced to make difficult choices based on the circumstances caused by Cinder and Scarlet. In the end though, the one with a really big choice to make is Cinder.

This book was a fantastic read. I could not put it down. I would stop to check the time and convince myself that I could just read one more chapter. Hint: I read more than one chapter every time until the book was finished. The characters and the story line simply mesh so well. The interaction between Scarlet and Wolf, yes his nickname is Wolf, is adorable. When Scarlet first meets Wolf it just makes me giggle. I also liked the fact that I did not expect some of the events that happened in the story. The reader gets more depth into Kai's mind and how he feels about Cinder, which I really appreciated. Although Kai did not have as much time in this book, his sections were crucial and I feel Meyer did a wonderful job with his perspective.

I did not, however, care for a couple things in this book. One was Wolf. I understand that he was playing the role of the wolf in the story and that it is just his nickname. But, while it is cute, I kind of wish that it had been a little more subtle. Even when more was revealed about Wolf, I really wish he had been given a different nickname. I also wanted Cinder to make up her mind sooner. Yes she had already had a lot of life changing information given to her, but all she did was run and make the situation worse without planning on changing it. I wanted her to make up her mind sooner.

I give this book a 9 out of 10 and recommend it to lovers of fairy tales and YA readers.

1 comment: