Thursday, January 15, 2015

Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White

Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White is about an independent woman who leaves her home island to avail herself to a higher education and is caught up in a huge political war. She catches the eye of the two most powerful people on opposing sides of a political power war and love makes the equation even more confusing. The end is a tragedy, but it is still has a bit of sunshine at the very last page. This book is a tad dark, but nothing over the top.

I absolutely loved the character of Jessamin. She is independent, outspoken, and would be a great friend in my opinion. I also love Finn and his character. He is the perfect counterpart to Jessamin. He is sly but fun and someone who I wanted to get to know right away. Jessamin is from an island where the mainlanders went over and impregnated quite a few of the women folk so she is on the 'mainland' now and the color of her skin sets her off. I simply love how Jessamin uses this! She goes to a fancy party and acts incredibly charming and blows everyone out of the water. She isn't afraid to get what she wants and when she makes a decision she sticks with it. There was a twist that was completely unexpected to me and I loved that! It can be hard to make that happen in YA books nowadays, so that was a pleasant surprise.

I was kind of disappointed in the ending. I wish it had been handled a bit differently. I won't go into the details, but although I liked it, I didn't care for how it was done. I don't know what else to say without spoiling it so I'll just stop there :) I wish that in the beginning there had been more with Jessamin's friend Kelen in the beginning. She is working and the guy she works for didn't care for Kelen, but I didn't notice a place where he explains why he doesn't like Kelen.

I give this book a 7 out of 10 and recommend it for readers of YA who don't mind a little bit darker reading.

1 comment:

  1. A powerful review! Thank you for your insights on this being a darker sort of reading. Not something I'm into just now--but maybe someday. Thank you for your insights!

    ReplyDelete