Friday, January 23, 2015

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder by Marissa Meyer is a very interesting and well told version of Cinderella. Shocking, I know what with the title and all. This tells about a cyborg in a place and time where cyborgs were considered property, not people. Cinder has to deal with her very mean step mother and one evil step sister. One sister is kind and loves Cinder. Well, Cinder meets the prince and the relationship begins. Through a series of some unfortunate and some enlightening events, Cinder learns there is more to her than she originally believed. Not only that but the prince has to deal with his father's death and the Lunars, the people who live on the moon, coming to push a marriage alliance with the queen of their world. The prince invites Cinder to the ball, and she keeps saying no until the day of, where she puts on a dress and some gloves and heads on over. Things with the queen get interesting and Cinder finds out about her past.

All in all, this book is very well written! I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I think Meyer did an excellent job keeping the theme of Cinderella in the book while also making it her own unique story. Cinder is an incredibly awesome character who is determined to get away from her stepmother somehow. She is a strong character, but she isn't able to do everything. She has her limitations. The Lunar Queen, Levana, is very interesting and I really enjoyed how Meyer portrayed that species. She fleshed them out very well and without being boring with details she portrayed them as different from the people on Earth.

I did enjoy the story, but I did not care for how the cyborgs were treated. I kind of understand, but they are not complete robots so it didn't make sense to me to make cyborgs property. This is what bothered me the most; I can't think of anything else in the book that I did not like.

I give this book 9 out of 10 starts and recommend it to YA readers and lovers of fairy tales.

No comments:

Post a Comment