Thursday, December 18, 2014

The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson

The Healer's Apprentice is a very well written book. It is a modernized fairy tale retelling and I think Dickerson did a fantastic job of telling it! I am going to tell you which fairy tales each of these are because, well, it's not that hard to figure out! :D This book is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty. This story is well known. A princess, to save her from an evil witch, is sent to live in the country to hide her from the one who wants her life. On her 16th birthday she is cursed to prick her finger on a spinning wheel and, not die as the witch foretold but, fall into a deep sleep for 100 years. Only true love's kiss will wake her. In this case the story is a bit different, no shock there, but it does stay true to the main elements of the story.

What I really enjoyed about this book was that it was a Christian book without being a pushy Christian book. Some of the Christian romances nowadays just are too much and get annoying, but Dickerson does a fantastic job of keeping the Christian part of the book natural. Now, it may be because I am a Christian that I don't find it as painfully obvious, but it would depend on the reader. I also like the relationships in this book. They are well developed and enjoyable to read about. I got very caught up in some of the progress of the different relationships.

Honestly, it's rather difficult for me to come up with things I did not like about the book. I guess I did not care for her situation in which she grew up. I wish it had been a little different. I won't go into specifics because I don't want to spoil the whole book :) Also, I would have liked a little more perspective from the bad guy's perspective. The reader only get some of his viewpoint in the end, and I would have liked a bit more throughout the book.

I give this book a 9/10 and I recommend it for YA readers and older :)

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like an excellent read! I'm excited to read this someday--it sounds like something I'd like. :D

    ReplyDelete