Saturday, November 1, 2014

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Sorry this is posted so late. I caught a cold and have been rather sick and then a dear friend died. Prayers and/or good thoughts are appreciated for the family; it's a very hard time for them.

Well, I must say that I love this book!! I think most people will be familiar with it, and if you're not I suggest you run on down to the library and get it!! This is a twist on the classic story of Cinderella and it is very well done!  Ella is a girl who is required to obey every direct command she is given, and her step family(shockingly) makes her life miserable once they figure it out! However, Ella is an awesome character and doesn't let that stop her! She is an amazing person and she became one of my role models :D I think the way the book unfolds is simply fantastic!

Levine puts out a message through this book that says: Don't let uncontrollable circumstances dictate your life. Ella figures out the curse and how to live her life accordingly. She adapts and doesn't let it ruin her life. She doesn't give up and perseveres. When the time comes, her true strength wins out and she gets a fairy tale ending :D

I'm going to include the movie in this review. I didn't like the movie when comparing it to the book, but I did enjoy the story. The movie plot line was very plausible and it was a good story. It was just hard to watch when I love the book so much. Some of the acting and such was a bit ridiculous and over the top. I think that's what annoyed me more than anything. It seems that fairy tales and fantasy are over dramatized sometimes and it's frustrating to watch. However, that is a subject for a different time. All in all, the movie and the book are good separately, no surprise there, and I highly recommend reading the book if you have not already! :)

I give this book a 10 out of 10 and recommend this book for ages 10 and up.

No comments:

Post a Comment