Thursday, October 9, 2014

Fire of the Raging Dragon by Don Brown

This is not the normal type of book that I read or write blogs about. However, I got this from BookLookBloggers for my father so I need to write a review before I can get more books from them. I actually have two different books I want from their site. It's so hard to pick! However, I had to read this book so I could write a review and continue with the site :)

I did not care for this book. However, I also don't care for military books. This book is definitely military fiction and while it's well written and seems accurate(although my knowledge of military matters is not very high) I had a hard time getting into it. I thought the story line was great and I did enjoy the characters. When first introducing them the author gave them a short little bio in a way that helped me get to know them without it being just a 'Here's my characters' type of thing. I did really enjoy reading them! There's lots of action and what was pretty neat, although not something I look for in the book, the author included maps of places the characters were talking about. It was helpful because then the reader can also visualize what is going on and fully see what the characters are looking at.

I quite frankly had a hard time getting into this story. I do not normally read military novels. The closest novels I have come to that are somewhat military based is the O'Malley series by Dee Henderson, and they are not as detailed as this one. There are choppers and soldiers and planes and all sorts of stuff that I don't know how to picture. I mean, I have a rough idea but since this is not the normal type of book for me I wasn't sure exactly how to tell what was going on. I thought the ending was great!! I did enjoy what happened at the end, and not just because the book was done!! I really liked what the author did :) So, if you enjoy military books I would definitely advise you to look into this one. This is actually #2 in the series. The first one is called Thunder in the Morning Calm.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

I give this book a 5 out of 10. I recommend this book for adult readers interested in military fiction.

1 comment:

  1. What a great review! I will be reading this one. There are some books I love--though they are out of my normal interest. This book sounds like one of those. You are a good and fair reviewer. I look forward to the next.

    ReplyDelete