Thursday, September 18, 2014

The Selection by Kiera Cass

This book is AMAZING!! I must say, I don't remember ever being drawn in so much by a non-fantasy story before!! I love how the author makes everyone so personable and how she completely draws you into the story!! I don't think I've been this excited to read the sequel since Eragon! :D

The story is set after a fourth World War has taken place, and she lives in a small kingdom. It is made up of Castes - 1 being the highest and 8 being the lowest. America Singer is a Five and her family is one dedicated to the arts. Each caste has a different stigma and career and you cannot escape your caste unless you marry. America is in love with a young man who is the caste below her, but she ends up winning the Selection(there's the title! :P) which she is fine with anyway because the guy breaks her heart. The Selection is a way to find a bride for Prince Maxon. It's kind of like the Bachelor, except when they get married it's for good and she becomes the princess and all that fun stuff. This chronicles the life of mainly America from before the Selection to the Top 10, although it actually becomes the Top 6 because rebels keep attacking the palace and Prince Maxon wants to speed things up.

I really enjoyed the feel of this novel. Kiera Cass did a wonderful job of explaining the way the world works in the 'present day' and keeps it fairly simple. She relays the characters in a way that makes you think you know them. I was very impressed with how she kept the characters distinct. There were originally 35 girls, and while the author didn't have to portray 35 distinct candidates the entire time, I never got confused or had to backtrack to keep everything straight. This is a very enjoyable read, and I would recommend looking into the trilogy!! All three are at libraries. If you do check them out, request them all at once because, at least in my area, they are all very popular! I received the first book rather quickly, but the next books are taking their own sweet time! :P I'm going to try to do all the books in the trilogy in order, but we'll see how it goes :) The next one isn't due at the library until the 27th, so I guess I'll have to be patient :)

I give this book a 10/10 and recommend it to YA readers.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a GREAT book. Thank you you for the wonderful review! I'm going to have to read this set.

    ReplyDelete